1.22.2009

Coincidence? I think not...

This week I had a meeting with my counselor. Wow. What a boring way to start a story. I could spend more time one that first sentence, but then I couldn't rant about it being bad or promise that this story is worth the read (I promise, it is!).

So, this week I had a meeting with my counselor to discuss the possibility of double majoring (new major would be French). She gave me some forms but said she wouldn't do anything about it until I had seriously thought about my decision and to come see her again at a future date.

What nonsense! I had been thinking about it a lot. That's sort of why I went to see her. Anyway, I politely said "thank you" and went on my way.

For the next couple days, I thought some more about it. Seriously this time. My head just kept racing thinking of all the pros and cons and not knowing how it sort it all out. Just think about it. Here's a decision that makes a huge difference. It could impact my future job, career, and life (in a significant way) or it could end up being just a huge waste of time and effort (learning a new language is not easy). What was I to do?

Today, Truett Cathy, founder of Chick-fil-a, was supposed to be giving a speech on campus and I decided to go. I know, that seems like an abrupt transition. Don't worry, it'll all come together (sometimes I plan these out!). So I go to this speech, and, as it turns out, Truett Cathy is not there because he had to go to the hospital for emergency surgery. In his place is a tall African American man (I think he worked for Chick-fil-a) there to give a speech for black history month. (This was defiantly not a fair trade or even remotely similar.) This man, besides giving us plush cows, put little picture frames on every chair in the hall with a quote inside them. These were random and depended on where you sat. I came in a little late, squeezed myself down a row, and took a seat between two strangers. While listening to this man's speech on my break between classes, my mind still trying to sort out my future plans, I peered down and gasped as I read my quote:

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Out of all the seats, all the quote possibilities, I ended up with one from the bible telling me not to worry because God knows my plan and that plan will give me hope and a future.
Now I know that that didn't give me an answer, but it is still a bit spooky, right?

0 comments: