6.12.2011

Broadway's Biggest Night 2011, aka Paparazzing the Tonys!

The Tony Awards are Broadway’s biggest night, and to be in New York City for them, well, that’s pretty exciting! Unfortunately, this was the first year that they did not have tickets available for sale to the public due to a change in venue (they lost about half their seats by making the move from Radio City Music Hall to the Beacon Theatre), but I wasn’t going to let that dampen my spirits. What might’ve possibly dampened my spirits (and every other part of me for that matter) was the impending rain that was supposed to down pour on Sunday.  Not having a tv and the broadcast not being streamed online meant that I had to go to the Times Square showing if I wanted to watch the event live. So, I dressed warmly, pulled on my rain jacket, and headed out early to the Beacon to try to paparazzi the action. While already packed, I somehow managed to score a spot on the barricade right across from the car drop off for the red carpet—meaning, I got to see every Broadway star or presenter arrive for the event! What was kind of funny, is that the people around me, who were taking photos as well, had no earthly idea who any of the theatre stars were (I also had to explain what the Tony Awards were for a couple people!)--they would just take photos when the people across the street did, then they'd ask me who that was (which was silly, cause after I gave them the name they then went "oh, who's that?" and I'd have to tell them the show, most of which they hadn't heard of either). Of course, the presenters were all big names and we got to see them too (like Alec Baldwin, Harry Connick Jr., Matthew Broderick, Jim Parsons, Whoopi Goldberg, Kelsey Grammer, James Earl Jones, etc. ). I mainly wanted to see my favorite broadway actress Sutton Foster. I did manage to get a few quick glimpses and shots of her before she disappeared into the crowd (she's in the green dress above!).
After the last arrival, I booked it Times Square in order to watch the telecast on the jumbo screen (I had a little time because the Creative Awards happen in the first 30 mins, but they are not broadcasted). I made it, found a seat, and managed to snag a piece of pizza on my way. The show was great, the best its been in years in fact, and I love that I got to experience Broadway's biggest night while seated right in its very heart.

0 comments: