2.16.2006

is it good?

I had to write a paper about a time I accomplished something... (AHH! What a hard topic! Just try to think of what you'd write!) Here's my paper, it's a pretty good read, if i do say so myself!

-----------------
Upon moving to Auburn, everything that I did was new. I attended a new school and different church; I was expected to have friends instantly. Sadly, I wasn’t adjusting well. Then I started my new baton class with, you guessed it, a new instructor, April. I immediately, and for the first time since the move, felt at home. The other girls were sweet and loving, and I instantly became friends with them. I was finally able to open up and trust some new people (trust automatically came with the other twirlers for I had to rely on them not to miss a trick or even hit me). After a few classes around them, I was even able to start being myself at school. Unfortunately, I had not quite mastered my vertical one-turns yet. I would spin and miss or, even worse, spin and receive a bruise. One day, I was near the point of giving up. In class, I had successfully missed all five that we had been told to do in a row. I had even managed to miss one and fall into a piano at the same time. (Now why there was even a piano in the room that day escapes me; I believe it’s sole purpose was to have me plunge into it.) My back was bruised, my hands were raw, and my arm was scarlet. I was embarrassed beyond belief, yet I was determined to try again. I snapped my wrist, pushed my arm up, spun around, and gracefully caught my one turn. Pride swelled in my heart when I realized that I could do this. I achieved my goal of mastering my one-turns, both horizontal and vertical, and continued on to master several other tricks (back-catches, blinds, wraps, etc.) including several with two batons. Nowadays, whenever I feel like giving up on a trick (curse two-turns), I simply stand tall and try again for I’ve learned that the worst that could happen is a bruise, and those go away. But who knows? Today just might be the day that I finally make it, and I will never deprive myself of that chance.

0 comments: