8.11.2010

Adventures in Cooking: Chess Pie Edition

Let me start this post with a little story. Several weeks ago, when out on one of our adventures in tiny towns, we found a very dumpy, albeit delicious barbecue restaurant. Now, I'm not that big a fan of barbecue, but they had mini-baby pies that were so cute I just had to try one. I picked (can you guess?) a mini chess pie and have wanted to make one ever since (a full sized one though- why make a mini? It just has more crust!). Tonight I finally did- it was scrumptious and everybody loved it! Yum!

For those who would like a taste, try it out for yourself:

Old-Fashioned Chess Pie Recipe

Ingredients:
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 2 tbsp. (heaping) flour
  • 1 tbsp. (heaping) cornmeal
  • 1/2 c. butter, melted
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 c. buttermilk
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 10-in. unbaked pie shell (I used a 9-in pie shell and just didn't pour all the mix in)
  1. Mix sugar, flour and cornmeal; stir in butter, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
  2. Mix well; pour into pie shell.
  3. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
  4. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees; bake for 30 minutes longer. Cover pie with foil, if necessary, to prevent burning. (I actually baked it for 40 minutes longer- it got a nice flaky crust on top!)
Bon appetit!

0 comments: