This is a combo post of my first and second days at--wait for it--my new job! I am now a crew member for the Doudna Fine Arts Center. Exciting stuff, eh? My first day involved running forms around campus (so that I could work) and then learning my way about the theatre (serious stuff, it is very easy to get lost/turned around!). Up on the catwalk, I learned how to hang lights and helped with changing light gels and positioning the lights for the blues concert this weekend. I started work on day two at noon. When I showed up, my boss asked me to hang some lights, put the right gel/filter in, wire them, and position them to shine on the right spots (with an "I'll be back later- I'm going to lunch"). Whoa buddies! But no worries girl, you can totally do this! I went to collect the wires, filters, and tools for the job and got to work. Right after I started, a tour group appeared on the catwalk over looking the stage. The professor started his tour monologue, but all eyes were on the girl working on the stage. No pressure, eh? But you know, I knew what I was doing (well, at least I think I do). And, I could see myself from their viewpoint and I know they were thinking: Man, that girl knows how to hang lights! (That's what I would've been thinking if I was up there!). Impressive, no? What is actually very impressive is my ability to quickly climb the ladders backstage. And I mean quickly-- like Spiderman! (who is hoping to make his own theatre start soon...)
8.27.2010
First and Second Days
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment