8.14.2010

(un)Fair (Weather)

Friday morning woke up like an excited little kid. Why? 'Cause we're going to the fair! And not just any fair, the Illinois State Fair. This fair is supposed to be awesome and I can't wait. Well, we drive to Springfield and everything seems ok, we drive to the fair and the sky seems to be graying, we get to the tent where the event is being held and freight-train-like wind roared all around us. A man, whose house happened to be located next to our tent, yelled for everyone to get in his basement. We ran in and waited (for only a little bit- no worries!). Back outside, three guys working at our tent were pointing out to everyone where they saw the tornado. I know it's better to be safe, but a little part of me wished that I would've stayed outside and seen it too. I mean, how often do you get the chance to see a tornado in person? It wasn't long though before the rain hit (and I mean hit). It was raining and pouring and showed no chance of going away (two little kid songs smushed together? Kerri, how dare you cross references!), so we sat outside under a metal braced tent eating chicken breasts with lemonade (what can you do?). After finishing dinner, I made quite an impressive tower out of the goodies strewn on the table (at right).  Eventually, we decided to walk around the fair to see the animals and find some funnel cake despite the drizzle. Unfortunately, the rides were all shut down and the concert (Lady Antebellum) was canceled. I did try some chocolate covered bacon though (and it was gross!). Now I know what you all are wondering, because of the weather and all the closings/cancellations, but don't worry, your mind can rest--I managed to see the butter cow.

0 comments: